Business / Home Safety Tips
- Always back up and test your back
up! Keep current copies of important data offsite.
- To avoid data loss and program
corruption, always exit programs before shutting down your computer.
- All computer equipment should be
used with high-quality surge protectors or line conditioners.
- Never turn off peripheral devices
while the computer is on or when the disk is active - this may cause directory
- Never reformat your drive without
testing your backup. If you use tapes, be sure you are familiar with the
backup software before archiving important data.
- Do NOT move or jar a drive while
it is operating. When transporting a drive, prevent jostling by using a
- All adequate space around external
drives' cooling vents; remove books, papers, etc., which might block air flow.
Do not put the drive on carpeting.
- As a general rule, if you are
comfortable, the climate is appropriate for the drive. Avoid rapid
temperature changes. If the drive was previously in a very cold
environment, allow your drive to warm up to room temperature before operating.
- Use extreme caution when using
software utilities - in cases of severe corruption or mechanical failure this
may make the problem worse.
- If you hear unusual noises, turn
off the unit immediately. These sounds may indicate a mechanical problem
that could ultimately result in total data loss.